Enjoy the tabletop Shadowrun Fifth Edition RPG experience, but wish that the technology had moved beyond pen and paper and dice?
Get the app that Diehard Gamefan calls a “freakin’ Godsend” for use in complex adventures:
Next Pass is an initiative manager for Shadowrun Fifth Edition. It is an iPhone and iPad app for the GM, and seamlessly manages the in’s and out’s of initiative, interrupt actions, and modifiers.
Let technology take care of figuring out who goes when and how often. But don’t worry, you can still shake all the dice you want. Next Pass will let you either roll dice and input results, or you can let the app roll for you. Or combine the two modes — let players roll for themselves and input their results to the app (we know they never fudge), and let the app automatically calculate initiative for NPC’s.
Includes buttons on the main screen to quickly apply interrupt actions such as Full Defense or any of the various actions that cost 5 Initiative, the ability to add up to 9 copies of an NPC with a single tap (perfect for Grunts and Gangers), over two dozen character portraits, the ability to take or use photos, and most importantly a streamlined design that will let you focus on playing rather than tedious game mechanics.
Available on the app store… Now.
Contact here (email, comment, or tweet) for any support questions or issues. Email support (at) eiger-tech.com
From Eiger Tech LLC
1. Tap each character to show they’ve acted for the turn.
2. Swipe left on a character to delete (“Terminate”) them. From combat, this will NOT result in a permanent deletion — characters will be moved into the library (except for copies of NPC’s, they will be deleted). Swiping to delete in the library WILL permanently delete the character.
3. Shake on the main screen to advance to the next pass or next round as appropriate.
4. Remember, you can set things up so either you can roll your own initiative dice (and input the results of base initiative value + dice result), or have the app roll for you — on a character by character basis.
5. Next Pass now automatically advances to the Next Pass/Round once all characters have acted (and if no one is delayed). If you don’t like this feature, open the about screen and shake your device to disable it. (There will be a settings page for this in a future version).
6. If a character is added in during the middle of a round (i.e., when on Pass 2 or higher), if the app rolls initiative for the character, it will also automatically subtract 10 from that initiative score per pass that has gone by (per the rules).
7. When you skip over characters in the Initiative order, they will automatically be marked as delayed.
8. Tap and Hold the “New Combat” button to automatically remove all NPC’s from the combat.
9. If you make multiple copies of an NPC when adding them to the combat from the Library, that NPC will be treated like a template. The number of copies will move in, but the base definition of the NPC will remain in the library (so you can go back and add more copies if needed).
10. When you select a PC to add to the combat from the library (or indicate only one copy of an NPC which has not been previously copied), then that character will be MOVED into the combat and only appear in the combat list. They will no longer be shown in the library. Don’t worry, when you “Terminate” them from the combat, they will move back into the library.
11. If you change a characters Initiative Rating (for example if they go Astral or full VR), the app will automatically roll and apply the new initiative for the character. This includes when initiative dice are lost — the app will roll the appropriate dice and reduce the Score by that amount.
12. Tap on a characters portrait in the upper right of the create or modify screen to select a new random portrait, or double tap to skip all the way to a blank square (filled with character’s first initial, or initial + number for those numerous Grunts).
13. The app supports multiple modes for Initiative, Astral, VR, Hot Sim. Explore “full stats” for your character to enter the appropriate values and thus have the option to switch modes from the character detail screen.
14. Next Pass uses the interpretation of Interrupt Actions that states that a character can perform an Interrupt Action if they have any positive Initiative Score (i.e. 1 or higher). If you want the app to support the option that says the character must have enough Initiative to pay for the action, please comment below. Also, does this mean 5 or 10, or 6 or 11?
15. Keep forgetting about delayed timers on grenades? Simply add a “Grenade” character and set it’s initiative to 0.
16. Try entering the name of one of the combat drugs in the notes for a character – like “Jazz” or “Kamikaze.” Then tap and hold the -5 button — pretty cool, huh?
17. Finally, remember you can always simply tap “Overwrite Initiative” on the detail page for any character to tell the app what that character’s Initiative Score should be right now — irrespective of any modifiers.